[Tagging] Traffic_sign discussion

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 9 18:15:50 UTC 2018

I can think of a couple of non-trivial cases which will need to be
handled:

1) multiple signs on a single post

2) signs with a dependent (qualifier) sign, such as "except for buses"

3) one or more signs on a larger panel - too large to represent as a
node

4) signs applying only to certain lanes

5) signs on a gantry above (half of) the road

I can understand the argument for mapping the signs as objects in their
own right. This would be limited to being a database of street
furniture, unless and until the effect of the signs can be linked to the
effect they have on traffic (in the broadest sense), which is the
starting point for the present discussion. This is of course a serious
exercise to ensure the link from the sign to the effect is represented
unambiguously.

We already have turn restrictions, maxspeed, maxheight etc on the ways
themselves (without needing to have any link to a sign). This model
works reasonably well for routing applications, albeit not without some
discussion about the types of "weight" and so on.

The point I am trying to make, is that there might not be much of a
"business case" for linking the signs/posts to their effects, and that
mapping them as "street furniture" might be going far enough...