[Tagging] Game and toy library

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:34:49 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 9:13 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 10. Oct 2018, at 20:01, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The rendering tools
> > can be changed to accommodate this but, as I understand it, such changes
> may greatly
> > increase the processing time to render map tiles whether or not they
> contain a library.
>
> not true. It makes evaluation more complex though.

I was going by my unreliable memory of a youtube video from a few years ago
where the
rendering chain was explained.  It was very complex and, at least back
then, even minor changes
could cause it to go a lot slower.  It could have changed since then (there
were many transformation
stages) or I could be misremembering.

> If you stand on the position that a toys library is a kind of library,
> subtagging is the way to go, if you think it is different to a library and
> has just the library in the name, you make a new main tag.
>
> I am tending to the second,

Me too.  It may have "library" in the name but books are not its primary
focus.  And "library" was only
included in the name because somebody thought that "library" meant
"lending" because all the
libraries he/she visited were lending libraries not reference libraries.

> but we’ll probably also have to introduce a property because some normal
> libraries will have also a games department.

No games in my local library, but they do have CDs and DVDs.  And also
computers for accessing the
Internet.  A look at the online catalogue for my local toy library does not
show any games or books.

Another point.  My local library does not charge for books, but does charge
for CDs and DVDs.  The
toy library charges for all the toys, so it's more of a toy rental shop.
Of course, there may be some
book libraries that charge and some toy libraries that do not.

--
Paul