[Tagging] Cafe / Coffee shop tags?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:18:00 UTC 2018

There was a question on the Help pages about the right tags for certain
cafe features, found also in shops that sell or roast coffee:
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/66279/what-coffee-shop-data-to-add-to-osm
?

1. Tag for a cafe that sells espresso-based drinks:
I suggested taht "drink:espresso=yes" should work; it fits with the pattern
on this page: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:drink

2. Tag for a place that sells brewed coffee (eg aeropress, pour-over, drip,
etc)

I think this may need a new tag, but it's a good idea. I might use
"drink:brewed_coffee=yes" or "drink:pourover_coffee=yes".

Any other ideas?

3. Tag for a coffee shop that roasts it own coffee (and sells wholebean
coffee)

This is similar to a microbrewery. A big coffee roaster than focused on
this could be craft=roaster. But more often a cafe (or shop=coffee) might
also roast small batches of coffee for retail sale (and perhaps local
wholesale to cafes).

Should this be similar to microbrewery=yes with a tag like
coffee_roaster=yes ?

-Joseph