[Tagging] Greengrocer vs grocery vs shop=food?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Oct 11 10:53:41 UTC 2018

> On Oct 11, 2018, at 5:29 PM, Mark Wagner <mark+osm at carnildo.com> wrote:
>
> Empire Foods",

The name doesn't help much either.

A convenience store?

Food production? (Not a shop)

Food distribution? (Not a shop)

Is it a greengrocer?

A butcher?

A supplier of Prepackaged foods sold B2B for convenience stores or fast food restaurants (not a shop)?

The office building for the chain of shops?

I see this issue in Google maps all the time, where a distribution warehouse is labeled as a "supermarket" because it has the chain's name in the POI data. They were mapping by name and got it wrong.

If it was "Weird Al's world of ketchup", then I could see having trouble categorizing it, but  tagging a business shop=food is missing the chance to put

shop=yes
and
fixme=please update tagging to correct shop type

 on the shop for a more knowledgeable mapper to update.

We should have a couple more categories of market-type shops (as discussed) before lumping all of them into shop=food.

By tagging shop=food when you do not know how to tag it is wrong. It is a missed opportunity not only for the tagged business (it will probably never be revisited and properly tagged), but causes tagging confusion when people go to tag similar businesses.

There may be a use for shop=food - but throwing a business in there because it has "foods" in the title is bad tagging (imo).

Javbw