[Tagging] Greengrocer vs grocery vs shop=food?

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Thu Oct 11 19:20:26 UTC 2018

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 19:53:41 +0900
John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 11, 2018, at 5:29 PM, Mark Wagner <mark+osm at carnildo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Empire Foods",
>
> The name doesn't help much either.
>
> A convenience store?
>
> Food production? (Not a shop)
>
> Food distribution? (Not a shop)
>
> Is it a greengrocer?
>
> A butcher?
>
> A supplier of Prepackaged foods sold B2B for convenience stores or
> fast food restaurants (not a shop)?
>
> The office building for the chain of shops?
>
> I see this issue in Google maps all the time, where a distribution
> warehouse is labeled as a "supermarket" because it has the chain's
> name in the POI data. They were mapping by name and got it wrong.
>
> If it was "Weird Al's world of ketchup", then I could see having
> trouble categorizing it, but  tagging a business shop=food is missing
> the chance to put
>
> shop=yes
> and
> fixme=please update tagging to correct shop type
>
>  on the shop for a more knowledgeable mapper to update.
>
> We should have a couple more categories of market-type shops (as
> discussed) before lumping all of them into shop=food.
>
> By tagging shop=food when you do not know how to tag it is wrong. It
> is a missed opportunity not only for the tagged business (it will
> probably never be revisited and properly tagged), but causes tagging
> confusion when people go to tag similar businesses.

If I follow your suggestion, there's even more of a missed
opportunity.  There are no "more knowledgeable mappers" in my area.  I
am the only person in an area the size of the United Kingdom to make a
concentrated effort at mapping business: if I don't map it, it won't
get mapped for years, if ever.

"shop=food" may be vague, but it's more detailed than "shop=yes", and
less wrong than trying to guess if it's a "shop=convenience",
"shop=greengrocer", or something else.

--
Mark