[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:39:22 UTC 2018

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 21:16, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> I had not noticed the existence of the group relation before. Seems to me that it and the controversial site relation have some overlap. For the examples I can think of where I think the site relation works it seems like the group relation would also work. So, at present and lacking counter-examples, it seems to me that one of these two relations should go away.

There is quite some difference between the suggested group relation
and a site relation:

A site relation is an own feature that consists of several other
features. (For example, a wind farm cannot be mapped as a power plant
area, but it can be mapped as a power plant site relation with
multiple wind turbines as members.[1])

[1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3792332

In contrast, a group relation isn't a separate feature, but just a
name; the feature is already defined for its members. (Like in our
example the two ponds 'Small Pond' and 'Big Pond' that together are
called 'Groble'.)

This is also why a site (or multipolygon) relation wouldn't work in our example.

Regards
Markus