[Tagging] How to tag named group of named water areas?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 01:57:03 UTC 2018

What I'm learning by reading this thread over again is that there is a lot
of confusion about relations in the context I'm interested in. Group or
site, whether one or the other will render or, more importantly for me at
least, is whether the object will be findable in a Nominatim search. I
would hate like hell to have tagged such an object and then not be able to
locate it. I don't care which method gets the nod on this list but in the
end I want those features to be findable.

Dave

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:40 AM SelfishSeahorse <selfishseahorse at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 at 21:16, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:
> >
> > I had not noticed the existence of the group relation before. Seems to
> me that it and the controversial site relation have some overlap. For the
> examples I can think of where I think the site relation works it seems like
> the group relation would also work. So, at present and lacking
> counter-examples, it seems to me that one of these two relations should go
> away.
>
> There is quite some difference between the suggested group relation
> and a site relation:
>
> A site relation is an own feature that consists of several other
> features. (For example, a wind farm cannot be mapped as a power plant
> area, but it can be mapped as a power plant site relation with
> multiple wind turbines as members.[1])
>
> [1]: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3792332
>
> In contrast, a group relation isn't a separate feature, but just a
> name; the feature is already defined for its members. (Like in our
> example the two ponds 'Small Pond' and 'Big Pond' that together are
> called 'Groble'.)
>
> This is also why a site (or multipolygon) relation wouldn't work in our
> example.
>
> Regards
> Markus

Dave Swarthout