[Tagging] highway=crossing used on ways

Gerd Petermann GPetermann_muenchen at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 12 07:25:23 UTC 2018

Hi all,

It seems that many new mappers use this tag for pedestrian crossings on ways instead of highway=footway + footway=crossing.
In the past I tried to improve the wiki to make clear that the tag highway=crossing should not be used on ways
but obviously that did not work.

In November 2015 I fix nearly all such ways, since then the number increased again to 488. I don't know about iD, but JOSM prints a warning
when you use this tagging, still many edits were made with JOSM. I wonder if that means that we should accept highway=crossing as a shortcut for highway=footway + footway=crossing?

Gerd