[Tagging] Highway=track and piste:type=nordic, are we doing it right ?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sat Oct 13 14:00:58 UTC 2018

In my part of the world I know of several highway=* that are closed in winter and used as nordic ski trails. Not just tracks, I can think of a few that are two lane paved roads used for general vehicular traffic in summer.

It makes no sense to me to have two OSM ways sharing the same nodes simply to satisfy the implementation of an editor. That is just about the same as “mapping for the renderer”. If iD can’t be fixed for this use case then it should not be used.

Cheers,
Tod