[Tagging] Highway=track and piste:type=nordic, are we doing it right ?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Oct 13 08:58:31 UTC 2018

13. Oct 2018 09:28 by yvecai at mailbox.org <mailto:yvecai at mailbox.org>:

> For a long time, contributors map crosscountry skiing by adding piste:nordic to existing highway=tracks when they follow them. That's about 66% of the 68'000km of crosscountry ski trails mapped or 51165 ways.
>
> I tried to add preset in iD editor [1] to make it easier for the contributors to find the right tags for ski pistes. However, iD presets are exclusives, thus if you select a highway=track and then use the 'piste' preset, the highway tag is removed by the editor.
>
> This behaviour is consistent with the good practice 'One feature, one OSM element'

Are crosscountry skiing tracks following tracks as in

- (1) geometry is roughly similar but skiing track has separate geometry

of

- (2) geometry is exactly the same as highway=track is sometimes changed into skiing track

or is used both as skiing track and road for accessing forest/field

In case of (1) skiing track should be mapped as a separate object as it is a separate object

In case of (2) skiing track and road is the same object and should be mapped as

the same geometry.

>  [2], and I can hear the argument that separate geometries are easier to map.

Is there a separate geometry?

> I'd like to hear more opinions about this, I guess the ski pistes are not the only niche tags for which this question arises.

There are similar cases with streams.

There are two cases

- (1) highway=track is closely following waterway=stream (separate geometries)

- (2) waterway=stream riverbed is used also as access road

  - it may be also described as extremely long for

Main difference is that (AFAIK) situation "given object is both road and riverbed" is

quite rare and "given object is both forest road and skiing track" is more common.