[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse=governmental

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 02:00:42 UTC 2018

Thanks for working on this proposal, Markus. I agree that it would be
useful to have an approved type of land use for the administrative offices
of governments.

However, I'm not sure that "governmental" is the best value for the landuse
key. I think there would be a risk of mappers finding this tag in the
editors and using it for all governnment-owned land, not just for
administrative offices. In North America, and in many developing countries,
the national or local government owns large areas of land, including
rangeland, forests, transportation facilities, and military areas, in
addition to land uses for government offices.

In North America, it is somewhat common to talk about "government land" or
more specifically, "Federal land," "State land", and "Municipal land". But
the only uses of "governmental land use" I've found are in phrases talking
about "governmental land use policy", "governmental land use regulations",
and "governmental land use decision making". In these cases, the phrase is
talking about governments regulating all types of land use, including
commercial, retail, residential and industrial.

For these reasons, I believe the current tag "landuse=civic_admin" or
"landuse=public_administration" are a little better. They are not perfect,
because "civic" isn't precisely correct for land used for national or
provincial government offices, but they are less ambiguous. If this
proposal is going to use a new tag, it should include something about the
administrative nature of the land, so that mappers are less likely to use
the tag incorrectly for other types of government-owned land.

Also, in the proposal, it is stated that this tag will not be used for
"Public service facilities"

What is the definition of a "public service facility" as opposed to "public
administration offices?"

For example, would the Department of Motor Vehicles be considered a public
service, or an administrative office?

What about the administrative headquarters of the Public Health Department?

These offices combine some administrative features and some public service
features.

Thanks! I hope this proposal will be approved once it is improved - Joseph