[Tagging] highway=crossing used on ways

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 06:55:56 UTC 2018

On 16/10/18 16:24, Gerd Petermann wrote:

> I think I found one reason for the mistagged ways. The wiki page
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dtraffic_island
> proposes to use highway=crossing + crossing=island to map a traffic island.
> It says that this should be used on nodes but a mapper looking for a
> replacement of a landuse tag might miss that.
> It also claims to show numbers from taginfo for this combination, but in
> fact it shows the numbers for
> just crossing=island:
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/?key=crossing&value=island
> This tag can be used on ways, together with e.g. footway=crossing, but that
> would not be used to map the area of the traffic island.
>
> AFAIK taginfo doesn't allow to ask for tag combinations. No idea if this
> occurs on other wiki pages, if so,
> it is very misleading.
>
> I think the said wiki page should be changed so that highway=crossing is not
> mentioned at all.

What a mess.
landuse .. should be used for large areas.. such as landuse=residential.
Landuse=highway could be used,
that would cover the traffic island, road and footpath and the road verge.

An example of a traffic island?
Here is a 'traffic island' ... it is an overlayed way that is in the data base see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/584316766#map=19/-37.60324/145.11787

I note there is no wiki guidance on tagging a traffic island in detail, such as this island that
spatially separates entry and exit. This is not uncommon where I am.

I also note that traffic island is not part of the approval .. so this is an addition that is not approved.

I have no solution as to how to map this in an easy way.