[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Default Language Format

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:54:21 UTC 2018

> Are there lots of POIs in Brussels that have a name in both languages in the database but should only be displayed in one language?

I don't understand this. Where should the POI be displayed in 1
language ? That all depends on the maker of the map, not ? If you make
a map in Dutch, you first see if there is a name:nl value, if not you
use name.

I discussed your proposal a bit on the Belgian Riot/Matrix channel.
There are several different understandings of your proposal. Some
thought e.g. that the default value tag should be fr - nl (and not
fr;nl). Others see no problem in just having a name tag (and no
name:fr) and so on.

I fear that people will start retagging all fr - nl names to fr;nl
names to match the default:language tag value.

regards