[Tagging] historic=memorial tagging question

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 13:08:06 UTC 2018

Memorial=* tag is a bit broken at the moment. Its values can be both, what
the memorial looks like, and what it commemorates. So the most common value
is war_memorial, and that says what it commemorates. Almost all other
values say what it looks like, so IMHO, we should stick with the "what it
looks like" usage of the tag. Memorial=marker says more about what it
commemorates, and very vaguely, so I wouldn't use this one. I read the
stele wikipage[1] and that doesn't look right. So in my opinion, we should
invent a new value that references freestanding stone plaques. So I have a
few suggestions:

memorial=freestanding_plaque
memorial=freestanding_stone
memorial=stone_plaque