[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Default Language Format

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 22:59:05 UTC 2018

Map users could guess that the first language should be shown first; for
example, if default:language=fr;nl you can show name:fr= first, then
name:nl= , and fall back on name= if neither language-specific tags exist.

In Brussels the order of names shown on signs actually alternates; one sign
is:

<French Name>
<Dutch Name>

The next street sign shows:

<Dutch Name>
<French Name>

But the convention in OSM is to just put  the French name first.

Personally, I think it is usually better to separate the two names on
different lines, when possible, rather than using a character to separate
them. But these detailed rendering decisions can be made by the renderer in
a consistent way.

Now if someone is mapping individual street signs or highway destination
signs as nodes, those tags should show the text exactly as written on the
sign, but “name=“ isn’t used in that case.

Joseph