[Tagging] Another multipolygon question

bkil bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 11:50:39 UTC 2018

I've seen many usages of tagging the area as desired (restaurant,
playground, etc.) and then only adding the extra tag barrier=fence on it to
mean that the area is surrounded by a fence. It renders perfectly, although
I'm not sure if this is a preferred notation, as it is not discussed on the
wiki.

The infobox on the right does prohibit usage on areas, but I'm not sure
what kind of consideration went into deciding this. Jojo4u introduced this
restriction on 2015-03-27T21:56 with comment "not defined as an area":
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:barrier%3Dfence&diff=1153410&oldid=1152965

It was not mentioned in the original proposal:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/barriers&oldid=817496

However it was brought up on the talk page in 2008:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/barriers#Linear_and_area_barrier_.28Add_Walls.29

And anyway such documentation can become out of date, so my question is
whether this notation is viable?