[Tagging] Another multipolygon question

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 12:58:57 UTC 2018

I was wishing that someone would write a short tutorial about relations,
the various concepts about tagging them, and problem solving when something
goes wrong with one. I have been unable to understand with any degree of
certainty how and why we create them, which is the reason I started this
thread and contributed to the other one about tagging groups of lakes. The
Wiki is helpful but leaves out a lot of details. A tutorial, video or
otherwise, would be extremely helpful.

I'm certainly unable to create such a help page or tutorial but someone
with more experience should. I use relations often but when one develops an
error, I'm usually hard pressed to fix it. As OSM becomes ever more
sophisticated the learning curve gets steeper and mappers, especially
beginners, will make tons of errors when using relations and won't have any
idea how to go about fixing them.

Dave

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 6:50 PM bkil <bkil.hu+Aq at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen many usages of tagging the area as desired (restaurant,
> playground, etc.) and then only adding the extra tag barrier=fence on it to
> mean that the area is surrounded by a fence. It renders perfectly, although
> I'm not sure if this is a preferred notation, as it is not discussed on the
> wiki.
>
> The infobox on the right does prohibit usage on areas, but I'm not sure
> what kind of consideration went into deciding this. Jojo4u introduced this
> restriction on 2015-03-27T21:56 with comment "not defined as an area":
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:barrier%3Dfence&diff=1153410&oldid=1152965
>
> It was not mentioned in the original proposal:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Proposed_features/barriers&oldid=817496
>
> However it was brought up on the talk page in 2008:
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/barriers#Linear_and_area_barrier_.28Add_Walls.29
>
> And anyway such documentation can become out of date, so my question is
> whether this notation is viable?
>

> On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 1:22 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <
> dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> sent from a phone
>>
>> > On 20. Oct 2018, at 11:38, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > But yesterday I tried something new, new for me anyway, and that was to
>> create a single-member multipolygon from the coastline way and then tag the
>> resultant relation with natural=wood in order to reduce the number of nodes
>> used. I was pleased that JOSM didn't complain and that the island seemed to
>> render okay but I'm not sure this is a legitimate procedure
>>

>> I also do this, for example if there’s a fence but I also want to tag the
>> area it delimits. Or for buildings and things that are there, in some cases.
>>

>> Cheers, Martin

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand