[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Sun Oct 21 17:20:16 UTC 2018

To answer the question from Mateusz, most consulates have a plaque outside
with the name, such as "Consulat de Mali", and they are physically separate
from the embassies even in cities (like Paris, where I live) where a
country might have both (such as the USA does).

Question : there is existing tagging for such places, specifically

amenity=embassy + diplomatic=consulate

Frankly, I have never been happy with this tagging because a consulate
isn't really a subset of an embassy. It's a different sort of animal, but
related. Same genus, different species if you will.

It would make more sense to me, if you were to make a change at the top
level, to do this:

amenity=diplomatic + diplomatic=embassy for embassies
amenity=diplomatic + diplomatic=consulate for consulates

This is more in keeping with the hierarchical structures of other tag types.

I see that "office=diplomatic" was proposed along these lines in 2010-11,
on the theory that these are more offices than amenities, but frankly I
think amenity is better, since those are supposedly things to help
tourists, which consulates, at least, are specifically aimed at.

I don't really like amenity=consulate, but I do agree that it's better than
the current amenity=embassy + diplomatic=consulate for consulates.