[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 22:09:46 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 21. Oct 2018, at 19:20, Johnparis <okosm at johnfreed.com> wrote:
>
> Question : there is existing tagging for such places, specifically
>
> amenity=embassy + diplomatic=consulate
>
> Frankly, I have never been happy with this tagging because a consulate isn't really a subset of an embassy. It's a different sort of animal, but related. Same genus, different species if you will.

I agree. I am fine with the proposed tagging by Alan.

Shifting both, embassies and consulates under a diplomatic main key would require retagging of both, embassies and consulates, but the embassies are already tagged ok.

Also from a practical point of view, it is faster to type one tag than two.
If a map renderer doesn’t want to distinguish between the two, it can use the bare amenity=diplomatic as long as people are using it together with diplomatic=passport_check or something like this (think tourism=information), and will have to look for diplomatic=embassy as well, so they could in the first place change their rule to “amenity is embassy or consulate”, and be future proof :)

Cheers,
Martin