[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 22:41:25 UTC 2018

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 21. Oct 2018, at 19:20, Johnparis <okosm at johnfreed.com> wrote:
>>
>> Question : there is existing tagging for such places, specifically
>>
>> amenity=embassy + diplomatic=consulate
>>
>> Frankly, I have never been happy with this tagging because a consulate isn't really a subset of an embassy. It's a different sort of animal, but related. Same genus, different species if you will.
>
> I agree. I am fine with the proposed tagging by Alan.

The proposed addition of amenity=consulate then conflicts with the present definition of amenity=embassy - both would be available to tag a consulate!!!

> Shifting both, embassies and consulates under a diplomatic main key would require retagging of both, embassies and consulates, but the embassies are already tagged ok.

At present all embassies and consulates can be and at least some are tagged as amenity=embassy!
There is no distinction with the present OSM wiki definition of amenity=embassy.

> Also from a practical point of view, it is faster to type one tag than two.

Certainly. Faster again to type nothing. Mappers who want to add detail will do so.

> If a map renderer doesn’t want to distinguish between the two, it can use the bare amenity=diplomatic as long as people are using it together with diplomatic=passport_check or something like this (think tourism=information), and will have to look for diplomatic=embassy as well, so they could in the first place change their rule to “amenity is embassy or consulate”, and be future proof :)

That would require typing of more than one tag.
Do you  want fast?
Then you will need one tag that says all you want ... one tag for a consulate that does vias, another tag for a consulate that does not do visas .. etc etc..

Reality: more than one tag would be required to have a system that is not litered with one tags that do so much detail.

I would opt for;
depreciating amenity=embassy .. as they are used for embassies, consulates etc .. so you don't know what they are (unless it has a detailed sub tag)
introducing amenity=diplomatic and use the sub tag diplomatic=* to detail what it is - embassy/consulate/*