[Tagging] Power=cable for low voltage lines?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 23:42:55 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We shouldn't be asking mappers to guess if it's a line, a minor_line or a
> cable before they can map anything.  Those distinctions are
> refinements that can be added later if further information becomes
> available.

Thank you for continuing to point this out.

I'm a hiker, and a large part of my OSM work is to support that activity.

When I map a power line, it's because I encounter one running through the
back country, and those things are important landmarks for hikers. I record
a power line in my field notes. even if I haven't followed it. When I get
home, I may well map what I can see of it on orthoimages. I think that many
of these are subtransmission lines, likely 69 kV, with the occasional 115
kV line thrown in for good measure. But I'm not sure - and I shouldn't have
to research what the voltage is, whether the conductors are insulated or
not, or what the power grid topology is, before I can map that "there are
overhead conductors, and (wooden/steel) (poles/H-frames/towers) visible in
the field here." If I have to do any kind of research before I can begin to
map an object that I can see with my own eyeballs in the field, something's
wrong with the model.