[Tagging] Upcoming removal of power=station and power=sub_station in the standard style

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 03:06:36 UTC 2018

It would seem an easy fix to change all power=sub_station tags to
power=substation without an individual inspection. The other tag,
power=station, is much more problematical because one cannot know for sure
if that tag is correct.

I think most new mappers already use the newer tagging guidelines but I'm
not sure what mechanism you could use to get the message out to all
concerned.

Dave

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 8:22 AM Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It has been noted that we still render power=station and
> power=sub_station in OSM Carto, even if they are both deprecated and
> replacement tags are much more popular by now:
>

> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3305#issuecomment-414058220
>

> I would be happy to get rid of them eventually, but I'd like to take
> some time before doing that, because they still have some share in a
> database:
>
> - power=station - 5 016 uses -
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Apower%3Dstation
>
> - power=sub_station - 17 514 uses -
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dsub_station
>

> Could we reduce their usage further now (or maybe even eradicate them)?
>

> --
> "Excuse me, I have some growing up to do" [P. Gabriel]

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand