[Tagging] Another multipolygon question

Adam Franco adamfranco at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 16:35:05 UTC 2018

Hi Dave, all,

Based on this discussion I just recorded this short tutorial
<https://youtu.be/x7SPb0JtheA> of how I use JOSM and its Relation Toolbox
plugin to to add adjoining land-cover areas as multipolygons with shared
boundary ways to reduce duplication and overlapping ways.

The area I'm editing, is replete with examples of this type of mapping:

The tools used are:
* JOSM editor - https://josm.openstreetmap.de/
* "Relation Toolbox" JOSM plugin -
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/JOSM/Plugins/Relation_Toolbox

Documentation on MultiPolygons in the OSM wiki:
* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multipolygon_Examples
* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:multipolygon

For some reason I've gotten hooked on mapping landcover in my area and
spend a lot of time adding multipolygons to do so. I find them vastly
easier to manage, update, and fix than simple closed ways with overlapping
edges (how I started). As I show in the video, adding detail usually just
means splitting exiting ways and adding/subtracting using the Relation
Toolbox.

Hope this helps someone -- let me know if there are particular cases or
questions and I'd be happy to record another video covering other
situations.

Best,
Adam