[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Tue Oct 23 17:55:58 UTC 2018

Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The location of an embassy in the capital is surely not prescribed by
law, but by expedience isn't it? The ambassador wants/needs to be near
the action in order to carry out their primary role - interfacing with
the host country government.
Answer: Yes. The location of an embassy is typically negotiated with the
host country government and is indeed a matter of expedience in most
cases.

> There are also examples of countries with split capitals. I am in one
now (Netherlands) - the capital is Amsterdam, but the embassies are in
The Hague, which is the seat of government but not the capital.
Answer: Yes, there are exceptions to every rule!  That's why defining an
embassy as the mission where one finds an ambassador is the easiest and
most reliable way of defining an embassy.  To the casual observer, an
embassy is a building with a sign on it that reads "Embassy" (as long as
it isn't a Embassy Suites Hotel or something similar) and a consulate is
a building with a sign containing the word "Consulate".

> Why is the location even relevant to this discussion, anyway?
Answer: Because in the OSM space there is confusion of embassies and
consulates.  A consulate is not an embassy, but in OSM the
amenity=embassy tag is applied to consulates.  I am proposing to correct
that, and to do that, mappers must understand both the differences
between an embassy and a consulate and how to differentiate between
them. Thanks for your help!