[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Research station

Jonathon Rossi jono at jonorossi.com
Wed Oct 24 09:34:13 UTC 2018

Here in Queensland Australia, our Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
run many research stations
<https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-priorities/research/stations-facilities>
obviously doing primary industries based research. Some universities do
perform research there, but they are government owned and run stations.

I recently started mapping a local one
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/628249378> which is in a urban area.
Wikipedia's definition of a research station isn't so strong about them
being located in a remote area.

The local one I linked to above isn't self sufficient and people don't live
there, however they recently installed a fancy research solar array. From
your definition it doesn't sound like this one would qualify, as many
others on the DAF list probably don't either, but I would think the chosen
tag name applies.

Is your proposal that this tag applies to my example?

Thanks

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM Bren Barnes <brenbarnes at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Research_station
>
> A *research station* is an amenity that is built for the purpose of
> conducting scientific research. Research stations are often located in
> remote areas of the world, such as in the polar regions or oceans. Due to
> their remote nature they are usually self-sufficient campuses, generating
> their power requirements from non-grid sources and having food supplies for
> long seasons. The stations are staffed by both research scientists and
> operational staff who live and work on base 24/7

Jono