[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 10:47:09 UTC 2018

> Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 03:48 Uhr schrieb Allan Mustard
> <allan at mustard.net <mailto:allan at mustard.net>>:
>
>     One of the commenters has suggested an additional tag indicating
>     what services a consulate or embassy provides, and that is one
>     option.  Not all consulates or consular sections of embassies
>     offer all visa types, for example.  The existent service=* tag
>     could possibly be used.  For example, one could add to either a
>     consulate or an embassy the tag service=[citizen services;
>     notarials; apostiles; immigrant visas; non-immigrant visas].
>     Thoughts?
>

> the service tag is already used for several different purposes (e.g.
> subtype of service road, subtype of service rail), which creates some
> inconvenience for data consumers (it is not necessarily a big problem,
> but some people have denounced this in the past) and as the services
> offered by a consulate will likely be more than one, I would suggest
> using a scheme like we use for payment or available fuels, i.e. a
> property list of yes/no (no is usually omitted), see here for
> reference: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:payment
>
> For consulates, using the examples you gave, this would translate to:
> service:notarials=yes
> service:apostiles=yes
> service:immigrant_visas=yes
> service:non-immigrant_visas=yes
> etc.
>
> Or (if there are only two types of visas), you could also combine the
> latter two to
> service:visas=immigrant / non-immigrant / both / yes (if you don't
> know which types) / no (no visas at all)
>
> These headstands are applied to avoid multiple values for the same
> key, and are required because keys must be unique in OSM.
>
> You can add these suggested properties to your proposal, but you could
> also put them in another proposal (if you believe there is support for
> amenity=consulate but the tags about offered services could be disputed).

As these services are also available at some other 'embassies' they
should get there own proposal so they can be used in things like
'consulate_general', 'mission' etc.

For visas I'd go simple .. service:via=yes/no/*  There will be multiple
types for different countries .. sorting through them will be too much
for most, yes and no will probably be the most popular and useful.

> ___
> As a slightly offtopic hint, by looking at the proposal page
> discussion, I got the impression you are using the digest mode for
> emails, which seems convenient at first (because you don't get your
> email account crammed with a plethora of mails), but the convenience
> is traded off for making it much harder to reply to the mails (you
> must adjust the subject every time and cannot reply to individual
> mails). Just in case you would want to change this, it can be set
> here: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging "Would you like
> to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?".

It can be handy to set up your mail client to separate out the various
things into folders - you can have one for the tagging group, one for
general osm stuff etc.

Still think best to have all these embassies/consulates/etc under one
tag - the renders can then use the same symbol for all of them .. like
they did for shops until they got inventive. The same will happen here,
eventually consulates will be separated from embassies.