[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:50:13 UTC 2018

Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 03:48 Uhr schrieb Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net
>:

> One of the commenters has suggested an additional tag indicating what
> services a consulate or embassy provides, and that is one option.  Not all
> consulates or consular sections of embassies offer all visa types, for
> example.  The existent service=* tag could possibly be used.  For example,
> one could add to either a consulate or an embassy the tag service=[citizen
> services; notarials; apostiles; immigrant visas; non-immigrant visas].
> Thoughts?

the service tag is already used for several different purposes (e.g.
subtype of service road, subtype of service rail), which creates some
inconvenience for data consumers (it is not necessarily a big problem, but
some people have denounced this in the past) and as the services offered by
a consulate will likely be more than one, I would suggest using a scheme
like we use for payment or available fuels, i.e. a property list of yes/no
(no is usually omitted), see here for reference:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:payment

For consulates, using the examples you gave, this would translate to:
service:notarials=yes
service:apostiles=yes
service:immigrant_visas=yes
service:non-immigrant_visas=yes
etc.

Or (if there are only two types of visas), you could also combine the
latter two to
service:visas=immigrant / non-immigrant / both / yes (if you don't know
which types) / no (no visas at all)

These headstands are applied to avoid multiple values for the same key, and
are required because keys must be unique in OSM.

You can add these suggested properties to your proposal, but you could also
put them in another proposal (if you believe there is support for
amenity=consulate but the tags about offered services could be disputed).

___
As a slightly offtopic hint, by looking at the proposal page discussion, I
got the impression you are using the digest mode for emails, which seems
convenient at first (because you don't get your email account crammed with
a plethora of mails), but the convenience is traded off for making it much
harder to reply to the mails (you must adjust the subject every time and
cannot reply to individual mails). Just in case you would want to change
this, it can be set here: https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
"Would you like to receive list mail batched in a daily digest?".

Cheers,
Martin