[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard allan at mustard.net
Wed Oct 24 16:27:49 UTC 2018

Well, at the moment the question as articulated in the wiki is whether
to split the existing amenity=embassy (which encompasses both embassies
and consulates) into amenity=embassy and amenity=consulate.  If in the
view of the OSM community amenity=consulate is inappropriate, then
logically so is amenity=embassy, and we need a new proposal to change
it.  I have no idea why amenity=embassy first came into existence.
There is another proposal to create amenity=diplomatic and then use the
diplomatic=* tag to define more precisely what type of facility an
object is.  I have added it to the proposal wiki, but assume you would
not like it, either.

Paul, are you proposing office=diplomatic and diplomatic=[embassy,
mission, nunciature, consulate, consulate_general, consular agency,
honorary_consul], or something else?  I'll be happy to add your proposal
to the list of counterproposals on the wiki and promote discussion of it.

As for objection to the service=* tag, would a new consular:*=* tag be a
better solution?  Just asking.  I'm not well versed in programing
editors. It would be something like consular:immigrant_visas=yes,
consular:nonimmigrant_visas=yes, consular:citizen_services=yes, etc.

As for whether embassies serve "any purpose other than housing spies,"
as a diplomat now for over 30 years, I can assure you that at least in
the case of U.S. embassies, we diplomats do a lot more than that.
Please take a look at the integrated country strategy of my embassy,
here: https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/285262.pdf for a
taste of what a small U.S. embassy does.  The larger U.S. embassies do
much more.  I cannot speak for the embassies of other nations.