[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 15:52:23 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net> wrote:

> Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to pose
> questions.

 This is pretty much based on gut feelings and may be partially or
completely wrong...

I don't think "amenity" is a suitable tag for a consulate.  Amenities are
parks, or toilets, or similar.
"Should we go to the park or the consulate for a picnic today?"   "I'm
busting for a crap, where's the
nearest consulate?"  And I'm damned sure an embassy isn't an amenity (I'm
not even sure, in these
days of telecommunications, if it serves any purpose other than housing
spies, but if heads of state
do still use embassies for formal communication between governments they're
definitely not
amenities).

Embassies and consulates seem a slightly better fit in office=government,
but still a square peg with
the corners filed down a little trying to fit into a round hole.

I'm not happy with service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is used
elsewhere for other things.
It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure out
which particular
service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.  It is also less
easy to comprehend at a
glance.  I'd say diplomatic=* is a better way to go because it is more
obvious and easier for
editors.

I don't know what the answer is, all I can say is I'm not overly happy with
what has been
suggested so far.

--
Paul