[Tagging] Radio telescopes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 12:34:48 UTC 2018

On 25/10/18 22:30, Andrew Harvey wrote:
> What's the recommended tagging for radio telescopes like
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canberra_Deep_Space_Communication_Complex
> which are parabolic dishes which are used for two way communication?
>
> What about the radio telescope
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkes_Observatory which is used for
> communication but one way (receiving only, no transmit).

Parks was constructed for reception only.

But was refitted for transmission probably for NASA (the moon program or possibly something before that?).

It is still used for both reception only and communication, so serves both functions.

>  From the outside they look identical to radio telescopes used for
> astronomy which I presume based on
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made=telescope would be
>
> man_made=telescope
> telescope:type=radio
> tower:construction=dish

The tower is not a 'dish'.

The tower supports the dish.

The 'dish' is a radio reflector, not an antenna.

> On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 21:50, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:
>> W dniu 25.10.2018 o 12:37, Andrew Harvey pisze:
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_radio_telescopes lists many
>>> radio telescopes which communicate and send information.
>>
>> We tag the meaning and primary function of telescope is observation, not
>> communication. Other functions are still possible (and tagging them is
>> welcome), but they are additional and loosing "telescope" drops the most
>> important property.

Only some 'radio telescopes' have transmit capabilities ... cost more money for that and astronomers are not interested in transmitting.