[Tagging] Out of the bars and onto the map: An lgbtq:*=* tagging scheme?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Oct 25 13:49:13 UTC 2018

I'm not suggesting tagging "gay friendly" which is too
subjective, and, due to PR, might be less informative now.

On 24/10/2018 23:10, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> When going on holidays & checking accommodation / travel guides for
> options, you often see a number of hotels / motels which are listed as
> "gay friendly". Does this mean only gays stay there / a majority of
> guests are straight but gays are also welcome or what?

"gay friendly" is supposed to mean that the other guests are less likely
to be openly homophobic, that the staff are not going to have a problem
with LGB¹ people,

You might say "Pfft, but that's everywhere! It's 2018". Things are
better in many places yes, but we're not 100% there yet. I recommend the
talk "All the little things", by Irish drag queen Panti (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIhsv18lrqY ), which opens with: "I am
45 years old and I have never once unselfconsciously held hands with a
lover in public.

> To me, with a young family, it's always meant that we're not staying at
> that place!

Are you sure all your kids are cisgendered & heterosexual? 😉 A noisy
dance club might not be great for 5 y.o.'s, but a restaurant? I'd think
that's fine. I think looking at the type of venue (guest house or night
club) is probably more informative than does or doesn't say "gay friendly".

On 25/10/2018 09:31, OSMDoudou wrote:
 > So, a question may be what are services or infrastructure specific to
 > these bars that are not found elsewhere (or not so frequently found
 > elsewhere).

"LGBTQ bars" might not technically offer much different from boring
cishet bars, but "LGBTQ bar" is definitely a different category of bar,
and is nearly always clear cut and unambiguous.

--

Rory

¹ There's no guarantee that "gay friendly" places are totally
trans/queer/etc accepting