[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Fri Oct 26 09:54:46 UTC 2018

Thanks for refocusing the discussion, Martin.

I think the new tag should be amenity=diplomatic.

A major reason is the instance where both an embassy and a consulate share
a node. If the new tag is amenity=consulate, you would either need two
nodes in the case where they share a space, which is acceptable but not
ideal, or else a single node with amenity=embassy;consulate, which as I
understand it is on the verge of forbidden.

Another advantage of amenity=diplomatic as the new tag is that it would be
clear that anything tagged "amenity=embassy" has not switched over to the
new model, making quality control easier. If the new tag is
amenity=consulate, it would be unclear whether a consulate tagged as
"amenity=embassy" has been switched to the new model, making quality
control more difficult.

Whatever we agree upon, the new tagging structure won't get into general
use unless (a) it's a preset in ID, and (b) it's rendered in the standard
map.

John