[Tagging] 2 meaning for crossing=zebra

Bryan Housel bhousel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:37:18 UTC 2018

> On Oct 26, 2018, at 6:44 AM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>
> Tagging "unmarked crossings" does not make sense for me. An unmarked crossing is defined in OSM by a road and a footway sharing a node, there is no need for a tag here, as there is nothing special.
>
> Otherwise I would need to set a node every meter on the road, tagging it "unmarked crossing" because I can cross the road everywhere.

How fortunate for you!
Try to imagine what crossing the street might be like for someone who can not cross the road everywhere and could benefit from guidance to tell them where it is possible or safe.

> And I hate it when the satnav announces a warning for the upcoming crossing, and there comes nothing the requires extra attention.

Again, try to have some empathy towards other users who are not you.  It’s great that you are such an attentive driver.  If the satnav warning helps bad drivers not hit kids, I’m all for it.

Thanks, Bryan