[Tagging] 2 meaning for crossing=zebra

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Oct 26 14:24:08 UTC 2018

On 26.10.2018 15:37, Bryan Housel wrote:
>> On Oct 26, 2018, at 6:44 AM, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>>
>> Tagging "unmarked crossings" does not make sense for me. An unmarked crossing is defined in OSM by a road and a footway sharing a node, there is no need for a tag here, as there is nothing special.
>>
>> Otherwise I would need to set a node every meter on the road, tagging it "unmarked crossing" because I can cross the road everywhere.
>
> Try to imagine what crossing the street might be like for someone who can not cross the road everywhere and could benefit from guidance to tell them where it is possible or safe.

Do you see the contradiction? If the crossing is unmarked, the ground object already does not
provide any guidance. As we map what's on the ground, there is nothing to map.

>> And I hate it when the satnav announces a warning for the upcoming crossing, and there comes nothing the requires extra attention.
>
> Again, try to have some empathy towards other users who are not you.  It’s great that you are such an attentive driver.  If the satnav warning helps bad drivers not hit kids, I’m all for it.

It's not about empathy, it's about psychology. If you hear the same warning at each and every
corner, again and again, you stop listening, and eventually switch it off.

The warning is useful when it comes only in situations that are different, such as a marked crossing
where the pedestrian has priority, and often exercises it without watching or very suddenly.

tom