[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Oct 27 13:40:31 UTC 2018

26. Oct 2018 21:53 by daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl <mailto:daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl>:

> Historically the problem is lack of experience with moving to      new, better defined and more rich schemes in OSM Carto (like      public_transport or healthcare). The excuse was a written rule to      "prevent unfavorable fragmentation of tag use" (> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md#general-purpose <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md#general-purpose>>       ). My take is that there is also different case ("favorable"      fragmentation), which is a smooth migration, but that was not      considered valid by others, probably to stay neutral and move      along only when tagging habits really do change for good. But for      some well known tags I think this is not helping, since lack of      rendering in OSM Carto is not neutral fact for mappers ("It's an      important feedback mechanism for mappers to validate their edits"      from the same sentence, but nobody ever mentioned it, including      me...).
> Again: that's what I personally think and others my have      different opinions. Yet if somebody else agrees, it makes sense to      discuss it in our issue tracker:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues>

I would not call it "excuse".

There is combination of various effects

- some people want rendering before tagging is actually widely used

- some people want rendering before tagging is properly discussed

- some people want rendering before tagging is supported in editors

- some people want rendering before tagging is supported in any other map style,

despite that there are ones focusing on a given topic

- some people want rendering of tagging that is highly controversial to improve their position

in a dispute

- some people want rendering of tagging that is obnoxious to render

- it is undesirable to have tagging discussions on issue tracker of a single rendering

- it is undesirable to have tagging decisions on issue tracker of a single rendering