[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)
matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Oct 27 13:40:31 UTC 2018
26. Oct 2018 21:53 by daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl <mailto:daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl>:
> Historically the problem is lack of experience with moving to new, better defined and more rich schemes in OSM Carto (like public_transport or healthcare). The excuse was a written rule to "prevent unfavorable fragmentation of tag use" (> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md#general-purpose <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md#general-purpose>> ). My take is that there is also different case ("favorable" fragmentation), which is a smooth migration, but that was not considered valid by others, probably to stay neutral and move along only when tagging habits really do change for good. But for some well known tags I think this is not helping, since lack of rendering in OSM Carto is not neutral fact for mappers ("It's an important feedback mechanism for mappers to validate their edits" from the same sentence, but nobody ever mentioned it, including me...).
> Again: that's what I personally think and others my have different opinions. Yet if somebody else agrees, it makes sense to discuss it in our issue tracker:
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues>
I would not call it "excuse".
There is combination of various effects
- some people want rendering before tagging is actually widely used
- some people want rendering before tagging is properly discussed
- some people want rendering before tagging is supported in editors
- some people want rendering before tagging is supported in any other map style,
despite that there are ones focusing on a given topic
- some people want rendering of tagging that is highly controversial to improve their position
in a dispute
- some people want rendering of tagging that is obnoxious to render
- it is undesirable to have tagging discussions on issue tracker of a single rendering
- it is undesirable to have tagging decisions on issue tracker of a single rendering
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tagging