[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:11:13 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 5:38 PM Allan Mustard <allan at mustard.net> wrote:

Given the effort required to create a new main key, and the split in
> opinions whether diplomatic=* should be a new main key, I am leaning toward
> office=diplomatic, diplomatic=[embassy, consulate, other] as a happy medium.
>

>From my happy little Dunning-Krugeresque perspective (I don't know much
about it, so it must be
simple) of the technical innards, I'm not sure that there's any more effort
required to have diplomatic
as a new main key.  I suspect that editors may find it slightly simpler to
have diplomatic as a main key
than a subordinate one.  As far as the carto side goes, I saw an old
youtube video on the subject which
seemed to imply that adding anything in any manner could have drastic
effects on rendering time, so I
don't know which approach would be better for that.

The biggest problem with a new main key is political.  Everyone has an
opinion...  There are those
who want to merge everything into a very small number of categories and
those who do not.  You
just produced very compelling arguments against amenity=diplomatic (an
embassy or consulate
does so much more).  I think that applies, to a lesser extent, to
office=diplomatic.  An embassy doesn't
really fit my mental category of "office" any more than a shop or filling
station or hospital does (even
though they all process paperwork, it's not their main purpose however much
of their time it takes
up).  That said, I wouldn't vote against office=diplomatic, I just hope
something better turns up before
the vote.

--
Paul