[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Tue Oct 30 09:57:54 UTC 2018

The problem I see is that, as I understand it, Allan is proposing to drop
some existing diplomatic=* values, such as diplomatic=permanent_mission.
And the proposed substitute is to rely on the name=* tag.

Martin pointed out a problem where something not an embassy has a name like
an embassy. But also the proposal to "just search on the name" will fail
if, for example, the tagging is something like this:

office=diplomatic
diplomatic=other
name=مهمة تجارية من ليبيا

If you're looking for trade missions, I doubt very much that you'll find
that one. On the other hand, you will find it if the tag diplomatic=mission
is used (I'm not proposing that as a value, but see below).

On a similar note, I don't think the subtags proposed under "other" will
ever gain widespread use. "Other" means "end of the road" to most people.
Basically, anything you're thinking of under "other" that warrants its own
category should be elevated one level, and "diplomatic=other" should be
dropped. The trick is deciding on what categories are significant enough to
merit a separate tagging value. Currently you're at "embassy, consulate,"
but I'd challenge you to go further.

I find this sentence in one of your emails to be particularly problematic
on this subject:

*A trade mission (aka "trade commissioner", "commercial office", "trade
representative") can be part of any of the three categories; it is not
accredited separately*.

If someone needs to be an expert on international law to determine the tag,
there's a problem with the tagging scheme.

Looking at taginfo (thanks for the correct link, Martin), I see that there
are very, very few subtags currently in use for diplomatic=*
embassy
consulate
consulate_general -- folded into consulate under current proposal -- this
makes sense to me
honorary_consulate -- folded into consulate -- is that right? My experience
with honorary consuls is that they are more like private citizens promoting
trade
high_commission -- folded into embassy -- sensible
permanent_mission -- not mentioned -- should be folded into embassy?
delegation -- not mentioned
UN -- not mentioned -- probably should be same as permanent_mission
trade_delegation -- not mentioned
visa -- not mentioned (I believe these are for private companies that
handle visas on behalf of consulates -- where to categorize?)
non_diplomatic -- becomes "other" -- I think this should be dropped entirely

You also had a partial list of proposed tags for "other" ...
liaison_office
representative_office
subnational
trade_office
cultural_center
assistance_office

These are all candidates for values of diplomatic=* (I doubt most need
their own category, and thus should be dropped). In particular the
"subnational" tag is already implied by the existence of a hyphen in the
"sending_country" (US-VA for Virginia, for instance).

Finally, on the question of whether to make the main tag "office" or
"diplomatic" -- this reminds me of the discussion several years back for
the Internet's top-level domains (.com, .edu, .uk, etc...), which are now
free-for-all. As Martin pointed out, certain existing programs (like the
openstreetmap.org map) assume a small subset of top-level tags, and adding
to that small subset is not easy. So I would advocate for office=diplomatic
as the main tag rather than trying to create a new main tag.

John