[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - landuse=governmental

SelfishSeahorse selfishseahorse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 10:48:01 UTC 2018

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 at 04:02, Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I'm not sure that "governmental" is the best value for the landuse key. I think there would be a risk of mappers finding this tag in the editors and using it for all governnment-owned land, not just for administrative offices. In North America, and in many developing countries, the national or local government owns large areas of land, including rangeland, forests, transportation facilities, and military areas, in addition to land uses for government offices.
>
> In North America, it is somewhat common to talk about "government land" or more specifically, "Federal land," "State land", and "Municipal land". But the only uses of "governmental land use" I've found are in phrases talking about "governmental land use policy", "governmental land use regulations", and "governmental land use decision making". In these cases, the phrase is talking about governments regulating all types of land use, including commercial, retail, residential and industrial.

I think if editors will name the landuse=governmental preset
'government premises', there won't be a high risk that people would
use this tag for land owned or regulated by the government.
Alternatively, renaming the tag landuse=government_premises (or
landuse=governmental_site) should clear up any ambiguities.

Regards
Markus