[Tagging] wiki modification landuse=meadow definition

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 14:49:10 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 3. Sep 2018, at 02:50, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:
>
> What is the “use” of a meadow that makes it a meadow rather than, say and area of un-mowed, un-grazed herbaceous flowers and grasses?

the areas I am familiar with for the latter you describe are either natural=heath or they become forests after some years of neither mowing nor grazing.
Or they are above the tree line. Or maybe more (temperature in general, other conditions that don’t let grow trees), I agree a meadow does not have to be mown, but if it’s used for grazing (not after cutting a meadow for hay) it is a pasture.

When speaking of “use” it seems logical to assume agricultural use, which would mean a meadow is used for the production of hay.

cheers,
Martin