[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 3 20:53:33 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-03 22:20, Christoph Hormann wrote:

>> The estuarine situation will always be hard to deal with, and I think
>> we'll simply need to have rough guidelines and then trust the
>> judgment of the locals.
>
> This is essentially the situation we have right now.  Judgement of local
> mappers is usually fine (with the exception of political cases like the
> Rio de la Plata).  Most problems occur because armchair mappers
> misinterpret the local situation or when inexperienced mappers are
> unaware of the significance of distinguishing between ocean and
> riverbank mapping.

What guidance do we give to the local mappers? Coastline up to tidal
limit, or draw a line across wherever you think fit? Coastline and
riverbank are IMHO not mutually exclusive.

Given a properly formulated rule-of-thumb, why should remote armchair
mappers come to a different conclusion to local mappers in this case? Or
are you proposing such a wide tolerance that basically anything will
fit, thus avoiding the discussion instead of actually tackling it?