[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Thu Sep 6 12:56:57 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've just come back from three weeks vacation in the Sierra Nevada with
an RV. I've used turnouts there extensively. Mostly, they were long
enough to me not having to stop while I let the traffic pass. But there
were also the occasional ones (marked) that were just a 10m paved patch
next to the normal lane.

In Sweden they have a lot of 2+1 roads and they seem to become popular
with planners in Germany, too
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2%2B1_road). Basically, it's a
permanently alternating long turnout. :-) I would be overshooting to
explicitly mark every two lane bit as a turnout or passing lane.

I favor the idea of marking turnouts, passing lanes and 2+1 roads all
the same by using the lanes tagging scheme. For explicit (short)
turnouts we might want to create a new value for turn:lanes=pass or
something like that.

Tobi