[Tagging] Is waterway=riverbank an 'Old scheme' ?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 6 17:58:24 UTC 2018

Hi

I would say yes, it is. It fits in with all other bodies of water mapped
as polygons. It makes it easier for renderers to do a general render for
all water features or be more specific for each type.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:water

I swapped over when it was pointed out to me that tagging canals banks
as waterway=riverbank (which was what was designated back in '14) was
awkward for them:

    "The advantage is that you can determine it is a canal from the polygon
     alone.  With waterway=riverbank you have to find the corresponding
     centreline first (assuming it exists)."

That waterway=riverbank is still popular & being used isn't a valid reason for using it. What's best for the database is what should be tagged. I've been gradually retagging riverbanks if I see any in the location I'm editing.

Cheers
DaveF