[Tagging] Is waterway=riverbank an 'Old scheme' ?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 23:09:23 UTC 2018

> What should we be marking as the "riverbank" - where the water is visible
"now", or the defined limits of where it spreads out to in the wet season?

This is an excellent question that applies to Alaska's braided rivers as
well. As they are without man-made flood controls or artificial
embankments, they run full in the spring, sometimes tearing out trees and
even small islands as they go, but shrink to a trickle in the summer and
winter. Customarily, we map the maximum extent of the river as riverbank
but that leaves a very mistaken impression when one observes such rivers in
the summer.

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 5:56 AM Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 at 05:40, Richard <ricoz.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> everything can be handled with waterway=riverbanks at least as well.
>>

> Question regarding riverbanks & where they should be marked, thanks?
>
> Was doing some HOT mapping a little while back in Nepal & the area I was
> working on was surrounding a river - sorry, I can't remember the exact
> location?
>
> The imagery I was working of had apparently been taken during the dry
> season as the actual river channel with water in it was ~30 - 50 m's wide.
> But the wet season river (or possibly flood?) channel was very obviously
> ~500 - 700 m's wide.
>
> What should we be marking as the "riverbank" - where the water is visible
> "now", or the defined limits of where it spreads out to in the wet season?
>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska