[Tagging] Designated value as a key

Johnparis okosm at johnfreed.com
Sun Sep 9 12:53:24 UTC 2018

I agree that it is theoretically a problem for the software not to use
access:bicycle=yes (for example) instead of bicycle=yes. I believe I've
seen (from Thorsten?) a list of such tags, as a hierarchy.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Land-based_transportation

Data consumers always have this problem with OSM's free-form tagging. I'm
not sure the list above is comprehensive.

All the tags you propose would work just fine in combination with
access=no, followed by the specific vehicle types and/or conditional tags.

BTW, I have deduced through observation that certain "wild" access tags are
the equivalent of access=no + [access_type]=yes. So, for example, a simple
"access=bicycle" means "bicycle only" which is equivalent to the standard
access=no + bicycle=yes.

Your "local bus" example translates to

access=no
local_bus=yes

... if you feel it is necessary to make a distinction between local buses
(permitted) and non-local buses (forbidden). I think you are correct that
the psv=yes tag covers all buses.

If you have a "typical" living street (pedestrians, bicycles) with local
buses also permitted but no other vehicles (including non-local buses), you
would have:

access=no
local_bus=yes
pedestrian=yes
bicycle=yes

... but then again you might want to consider: trash collection vehicles?
emergency vehicles? other local public service vehicles (taxis for example)?

John

On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM Lionel Giard <lionel.giard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not seeing much difference seeing "designated=bicycle" versus the
> in-use combinaison "bicycle=designated" (same for the other common tag like
> motor_vehicle) except that the first one would use a different "access
> paradigm" than everything else. That's not really a simplification to me,
> and i don't understand the reason that you would use that. Is there really
> a big problem in the processing of such access tag by software ?
>
> For the very specific employee access, why is it better to use the
> "designated subtag" instead of using a "private=Repsol workers" subtag ? As
> most employees-only access are tagged via access=private.
>
> Le dim. 9 sept. 2018 à 12:46, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> a
> écrit :
>
>> Local bus is already covered by the psv tag, public service vehicle.
>>
>> I assume by schoolar you mean scholar? I would consider scholar an
>> outdated term, something my grandparents used to say. It is more common to
>> refer to students in modern English, which I believe is what you have in
>> Spanish?
>>
>> Phil (trigpoint)
>>
>> On 9 September 2018 10:08:42 CEST, yo paseopor <yopaseopor at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> When I tag the access to a way reading the meaning of the traffic sign I
>>> miss some specific conditions. I know I can do it at general times with key
>>> access, but in specific cases access is so "small for me". There are also
>>> conditional tags but with these two keys I don't arrive to cover local
>>> meanings and situations of restriction to some vehicles (example, you have
>>> a living street, which is only allowed for the LOCAL bus line, nor the
>>> other buses. So you can't tag it with bus=yes or bus=designated within the
>>> complete meaning of the restriction given you by the traffic sign.
>>>
>>> For these situations I propose to "flip" designated value and convert it
>>> to a subkey. In that way you would have an escalable subkey that you can
>>> complete with the specific information of that tag. This key will be
>>> together with the combination access=designated so you can complete the
>>> information of the specific designation
>>>
>>> access=designated
>>> designated=local_bus
>>>
>>> designated=bicycle