[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 10 07:44:09 UTC 2018

Graeme,

You suggest that coastline and baseline might be the same thing.
Unfortunately I, and many other people would take a different view. The
coastline (especially as used in OSM) is a geographically defined line,
that no law or declaration can change. It is normally taken to be
connected to the high water line. The baseline is however defined
politically, normally as a heavily generalised derivative of the low
water line, with rules (see UNCLOS and the Convention you referenced)
about how bays, islands, archipelagos, river mouths etc. can be factored
in to the resulting list of coordinates which is published to the world.
This baseline is the 0-line for the calculation of the 6/12 mile limits
and 200 mile EEZ. Watery bits on the land side of the baseline are
"internal waters" and are subject to the jurisdiction of the land (under
control of the local government). On the sea side of the baseline
maritime law will prevail, usually under control of the national
government in conjunction with all kinds of treaties.

If the USA has defined the word "coastline" to mean "baseline", what
term does it use for the coastline in a geographic sense?

I believe that coastline and baseline are two different concepts which
need to be treated separately. If they happen to be colinear in some
cases, that's OK. But I am thinking here of vertical harbour walls,
where in 2D the high water line and low water line lay on top of one
another., and not some human declaration.

We will need to be a little pragmatic, because OSM mappers are never
going to be able to do a proper survey of the coastline with the same
degree of accuracy as professional surveyors. We are limited to
leveraging existing data sources for all kinds of boundaries, other than
occasional anecdotal points. Trying to come up with our own definition
of things like coastline is a complete non-starter. The position of the
"river crossing" in the coastline should similarly follow existing
definitions. If we want to make further distinctions in our data so for
example salty water can be distinguished from fresh water, or so tidal
influence on river flow speed and direction can be represented, I am
sure the OSM community can find some suitable tagging for that, but that
is a separate issue to the COASTLINE discussion.