[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 10:05:44 UTC 2018

> <mailto:colin.smale at xs4all.nl>>:
>
>     The baseline is defined by the state, in accordance with the
>     UNCLOS rules, and published to the world by deposition with the
>     UN. The basis for the baseline is: "the normal baseline for
>     measuring the breadth of the territorial sea is the low-water line
>     along the coast as marked on large-scale charts officially
>     recognized by the coastal State."
>     http://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part2.htm
>     <http://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part2.htm>
>

> is there also a definition for an "unnormal" or exceptional baseline?
> E.g. here: http://www.nonnodondolo.it/userfiles/image/37(1).gif
> <http://www.nonnodondolo.it/userfiles/image/37%281%29.gif>
> you can see that e.g. the whole gulf of taranto is included by the
> baseline https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Taranto
> From what I have seen, although there is the UN definition about the
> low water line, actual baselines tend to be much more "generous". The
> baselie is what the country self declares and other countries
> accept/recognize.
>
> Also the 12nmi extension (territorial waters) is not always the same,
> some countries pretend(ed) 200 nautical miles.

Fiji (an island nation) baseline encloses;

Land = 18,272 sq. kilometers

Internal waters = 25,558 sq. kilometers

Archipelagic waters = 130,470 sq. kilometers

I'd think that most people would agree that their baseline is a long way
from what they would consider a coast line.

https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/58567.pdf