[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 10 09:48:27 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-10 11:34, Colin Smale wrote:

> On 2018-09-10 11:25, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> The baseline is defined by the state, in accordance with the UNCLOS rules, and published to the world by deposition with the UN. The basis for the baseline is: "the normal baseline for measuring the breadth of the territorial sea is the low-water line along the coast as marked on large-scale charts officially recognized by the coastal State."
> http://www.un.org/depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/part2.htm
> is there also a definition for an "unnormal" or exceptional baseline? E.g. here: http://www.nonnodondolo.it/userfiles/image/37(1).gif
> you can see that e.g. the whole gulf of taranto is included by the baseline https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Taranto
> From what I have seen, although there is the UN definition about the low water line, actual baselines tend to be much more "generous". The baselie is what the country self declares and other countries accept/recognize.
> Also the 12nmi extension (territorial waters) is not always the same, some countries pretend(ed) 200 nautical miles.

Up to 200nm is the EEZ (Exclusive Economic Zone), that's not the same.
There's a neat explanation and diagram here:
https://sites.tufts.edu/lawofthesea/chapter-two/

The situation with the Gulf of Taranto is that Italy claims it is an
"historic bay" for which the convention indeed makes an exception. What
constitutes an "historic bay" is not defined in the Convention
however...