[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:23:04 UTC 2018

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:48 PM Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> It's a recentish (late 90s/early 2000s) update to the MUTCD, before that you would be correct (and usually as a stopgap between striping, places where this is still the case is highlighted by signage, but this is getting to be rare as most plsces have had long enough to require a repaint if not a repave since then).

The states have had considerable leeway in how they mark their own
highways (the Federal government has control only on the highways that
it funds).  New York has used a single solid white line to mean 'lane
crossing discouraged but not prohibited' for the 45 years that I've
been driving here. Prohibited lane crossings have, for at least that
long, been set off by double lines or by partial-barrier lines with
the solid line toward the lane that must not be departed from.

I seem to recall that the meaning of a single solid yellow line has
varied from 'crossing discouraged', to 'crossing forbidden but left
turns permitted', to 'crossing prohibited'. The current drivers'
manual states that they have the same regulatory effect as a double
yellow line. (Left turns across a double yellow are permitted only
when they can be accomplished without impeding traffic in either
direction and only into private driveways, entrances and alleys.) The
only single yellow center lines I've seen in the last couple of
decades have been on private roads, where they mean, 'the owner was
too cheap to shell out for enough paint for standard markings.'