[Tagging] Slow vehicle turnouts

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:07:36 UTC 2018

Okay, I guess the consensus here is that, even though I dislike it, I must
use the lanes approach. In my original tagging, I had invented a new
category of service road, service=slow_vehicle_turnout, but perhaps an
abbreviated form of slow_moving_vehicle would be more consistent and easier
in the end. In the example provided by SelfishSeahorse, he uses
smv:lanes:forward=|designated (as well as its counterpart in lanes:forward)
and that seems consistent with other abbreviated tags, like hov and hgv so
I'll use that terminology in my tagging. Perhaps someone of you would like
to add the smv abbreviation and description to the Wiki.

Thanks for the input and discussion,

AlaskaDave

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 3:24 AM Kevin Kenny <kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 14:36 SelfishSeahorse <selfishseahorse at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I wasn't aware that it is allowed to cross a single solid line in the
> >> USA. Hence forget the overtaking:lanes:<forward/backward>=* tags in
> >> the example in my last message.
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:48 PM Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
> >
> > It's a recentish (late 90s/early 2000s) update to the MUTCD, before that
> you would be correct (and usually as a stopgap between striping, places
> where this is still the case is highlighted by signage, but this is getting
> to be rare as most plsces have had long enough to require a repaint if not
> a repave since then).
>
> The states have had considerable leeway in how they mark their own
> highways (the Federal government has control only on the highways that
> it funds).  New York has used a single solid white line to mean 'lane
> crossing discouraged but not prohibited' for the 45 years that I've
> been driving here. Prohibited lane crossings have, for at least that
> long, been set off by double lines or by partial-barrier lines with
> the solid line toward the lane that must not be departed from.
>
> I seem to recall that the meaning of a single solid yellow line has
> varied from 'crossing discouraged', to 'crossing forbidden but left
> turns permitted', to 'crossing prohibited'. The current drivers'
> manual states that they have the same regulatory effect as a double
> yellow line. (Left turns across a double yellow are permitted only
> when they can be accomplished without impeding traffic in either
> direction and only into private driveways, entrances and alleys.) The
> only single yellow center lines I've seen in the last couple of
> decades have been on private roads, where they mean, 'the owner was
> too cheap to shell out for enough paint for standard markings.'

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand