[Tagging] Coastline for rivers, estuaries and mangroves?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 11 07:33:05 UTC 2018

On 2018-09-11 08:27, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> We will need to be a little pragmatic, because OSM mappers are never going to be able to do a proper survey of the coastline
> I agree, but we also can't easily say where the tidal limit reaches?

In most cases the state mapping or hydrography agency will know. They
have the gear, the knowledge and the mandate to make that determination.

>> but that is a separate issue to the COASTLINE discussion.
>
> Maybe, but personally, I still think that the river banks shouldn't be marked as coastline, & that the coastline should cut across the river at the coast, so I guess we may agree to continue disagreeing :-)

I guess so, but what is at stake here is not getting you or me to change
our minds, but to define what the word means in an OSM context. Mappers
may also disagree about the definition of "highway" (including or
excluding the grassy bits?) but IMHO data consumers have a right to
being able to interpret the data as the mapper intended. If different
mappers use a tag in differing ways, how is the consumer to know the
intention? Having differing conventions for each country is just about
doable, but if individual mappers all have their own definitions, the
data becomes less valuable. There is much discussion and debate about
selected tagging topics, but the only thing that really counts is the
result, conclusion, consensus etc that should come out of it.
Unfortunately it rarely does, and that saddens me.  OSM is broadening
its reach to more and more parts of the world, and that is good, but
there needs to be equal effort put in to the depth of data and the
quality (consistency) of the data.

Cheers,
Colin